The worlds first armoured car
The Simms armoured car had ¼” thick armour supported by a rectangular frame made from heavy steel channels it was powered by a four cylinder Daimler engine with the Simms-Bosch magneto electric ignition and timing gear. The car had a range of 200 miles and a top speed of 9 miles per hour. The armour was shaped into a ram at each end, it was 28 feet long, 8 feet wide and 10 feet high. It was equipped with two Pom-poms and two Maxims machine guns on ship’s mountings and had a crew of four. The order for the armoured car was placed with Vickers in 1899, but because of delays it was not completed until early 1902.
The Simms’ Motor War Car was put on public show in April 1902 at the Crystal Palace, London.
Frederick Simms was also involved in the manufacture of Motor cars as well as magneto’s, and engines.